If you’re hooked on the popular TV series Outlander, then you’ll possibly have fallen in love with Scotland, just like leading lady Clare Fraser! Some of Outlander’s stunning film locations are very close to us here at Gartmore House – many under half an hour away by car. Visit Scotland has even created an interactive Outlander film locations map so you can find your way around this ‘living film set’! Gartmore House is the ideal spot to base yourself whilst touring ‘Outlander country’…
And if you’d like to channel your inner Mrs Jamie Fraser, then perhaps one of our Corsetry Holidays will appeal.
The Outlander locations closest to Gartmore are as follows:
- Loch Katrine – a 25 mins drive away. This pretty loch in Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park is justand is where Roger and Brianna got to know one another after meeting in Inverness. You can cruise on the water, hire a bike or take a walk. There are a couple of good cafes where you can relax and enjoy the views. Day trips to Loch Katrine are included on all craft & activity holidays of 5 nights or more.
- Deanston Distillery – 30 mins by car. One of our favourite local whisky distilleries, the former cotton mill played Jamie’s cousin’s wine warehouse on the docks of Le Havre. There is a cafe, shop and tours/tastings available.
- Doune Castle – just 30 mins away. Doune Castle turns into the fictional Castle Leoch – 18th century home to Colum MacKenzie and his clan. It also features in the 20th century episode when Claire and Frank visit the ruined castle on a day trip. Doune Castle is also used in Game of Thrones as ‘Winterfell’.
- Stirling University – a 30 mins drive away. The walkway between university buildings doubled as Boston Airport, where Brianna was reunited with Roger.
- Bo’Ness & Kinneil Railway Station – a 55 mins drive. The station featured in the series as a wartime London railway station where Claire and Frank said their goodbyes.
- George Square, Glasgow – a 50 mins drive away. Historic George Square, with its ornate architecture and impressive City Chambers, was transformed to play the perfect 1940s setting for Frank’s marriage proposal to Clare.
- Pollock Country Park – a 55 mins drive. Found to the south of Glasgow, the city’s largest park provided the grounds for Castle Leoch (Doune Castle). It was also the setting for Clare and Jamie’s travels between Le Havre and Paris.
- Linlithgow Palace – a 55 mins drive. This ruined palace is the Birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots, and you’ll recognise it as Wentworth Prison where Jamie was held prisoner.
- Blackness Castle, by Linlithgow – an hour’s drive away. 15th century fortress which served as the Fort William headquarters of Black Jack Randall.
- Hopetoun House – 1hr 10 mins drive. Majestic Hopetoun House, near Edinburgh, played several roles in Outlander; it was the stately home of the Duke of Sandringham, the backdrop for Parisian streets, the spare room in Jamie and Claire’s Paris apartment, the Hawkins Estate, Ellesmere and the stables at Helwater.
Season 5 filming locations – The Radio Times has interviews with Sam Heughan about how Scotland stood in for Outlander season 5’s North Carolina scenes.
This interactive map on Visit Scotland’s website features an incredible 36 Scottish Outlander film locations!
How to get to Gartmore House:
Gartmore House’s closest airports: (by car) 50 mins from Glasgow Airport, and 1hr from Edinburgh Airport.
Travel within Scotland: Stirling is our closest city, and is 25-35mins by train from Glasgow, and 40 mins by train from Edinburgh. Traveline Scotland has an excellent online Journey Planner. We offer complimentary transfers from/to Stirling train station for all guests booked on our craft and activity holidays (on arrival/departure days (at set times).
Taxis from Glasgow/Edinburgh/Stirling to Gartmore House: these are available from local taxi companies Buchanan Cabs, Drymen Taxis and Crescent Cabs. Approx. £40 from Stirling, £85 from Edinburgh Airport, £59 from Glasgow Airport. Fares subject to change dependent on time of day.
Domestic flights within the UK: 1hr 20-25mins approx. from London Gatwick/Healthrow to either Glasgow or Edinburgh Airport.
Calendonia Sleeper Train: travel overnight in comfort between London and either Glasgow or Edinburgh; approx. 7hrs.
Trains between London and Stirling: There are up to 4 trains a day between London Kings Cross and Stirling, journey time from just 5h15.
Travel from the USA (approx. flight times to either GLA/EDI, source GoogleMaps): Atlanta: 10h30, Los Angeles: 12h50, Chicago: 9h40, Dallas: 10h45, Denver: 11h10, New York: 6h35, San Fransisco: 13h10, Seattle: 11h40, Houston: 11h15.
If you’d like to plan your visit to Gartmore House or book your craft and activity holiday, take a look at www.gartmorehouse.com or just give us a call on +44 (0) 1877 382991, and we’ll be happy to help.
Historic Gartmore House dates from 1793, and is a charming building with plenty of character. You are welcomed by an impressive entrance hall with stained glass windows, high ceilings and a grand fireplace. Our stylish and comfortable bedrooms boast traditional Scottish touches. The House boasts views across the Trossachs to Stirling Castle and the Wallace Monument.