Celebrating National Walking Month this May – Walking Resources and Top Tips
May is National Walking Month! Being situated in the midst of Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, and surrounded by the Queen Elizabeth Forest , we’re lucky to have some amazing walking routes on our doorstep and even some famous national trails nearby. If you fancy joining a guided trip then Gartmore House offers Introduction to Hill Walking Holidays with expert local guide Gavin Clarke.
In celebration of all things hiking and walking, here are some great resources and top tips if you fancy a wander around these bonnie parts!
– A nice article by Countryfile talking about walks in our national park – Countryfile’s Best Walks in Loch Lomond & The Trossachs
– Walk Highlands – a huge array of walking routes are listed on this fantastic website, with details of start/end points, route notes, downloadable GPX tracks and even the route marked on online OS maps – here’s the link to the ever-popular Ben Lomond – Scotland’s most southerly Munro
– Ordnance Survey maps via the App – essential for safe hill walking. The App also has a lovely feature that allows you to point your phone or device at a certain vista and see all the mountains and features of the landscape named on your screen (such as towns/villages, lochs and lochans, hills and Munro’s)
– Ordnance Survey videos and leaflets – a handy blog linked to videos and downloadable leaflets which you should view if you need a refresher on map symbols, safety when hill walking, or advice on choosing the right scale map for you
– Iconic long distance National Trails the West Highland Way and the Rob Roy Way are within easy reach of Gartmore House – these are linear walks so if you have 2 cars you can easily dip in and out of part of the route, or give us a call and we can assist with arranging a taxi transfer back to your car to make your life easier!
And our TOP TIP if you do one hill walk in the area – make it Conic Hill – this is a popular and ‘short but stiff’ walk from the pretty village of Balmaha – you’ll be rewarded with some stunning views over Loch Lomond.
To book or enquire further please visit https://www.gartmorehouse.com/walking-holidays/ or call us on 01877 382991, or drop us a line firstname.lastname@example.org